Dermapen Skin Needling
Skin needling is intended to stimulate the skin for natural collagen induction. It helps with absorption of active ingredients, skin tightening, lifting and rejuvenation, acne scars and promotes wound healing, improves wrinkles and fine lines, minimises pore size, improves stretch mark appearance and more.
Dermapens Advanced Oscillating Vertical Needling (AOVN™) technology uses multiple needles that vertically pierce the skin with an automatic vibrating function. When moved across the skins surface it stimulates natural collagen reproduction, whilst allowing fine channels to be created in the skin. The channels can carry up to 80% more topical nutrients, allowing for treatment delivery deep into the skin’s fibroblasts to feed the underlying cells found in the dermis and basal layer. This increased absorption of active ingredients into the skin creates stimulated repair and faster resurfacing results.
The wound healing response is the biological repair action that cascades within the skin after micro trauma. The microscopic puncture channels created by Dermapen™ create controlled regeneration.
3 Stages of wound healing:
1. The inflammation phase – first 48 hours to 5 days post treatment. Redness occurs, bacteria and debris are phagocytosed or removed. Platelets form to prevent further bleeding and release growth factors.
2. Proliferation phase – day 2 – 21 post treatment. Angiogenesis, fibroblasts grow and form a new extra cellular matrix, be excreting collagen and fibronectin. Re-epithelisation of the epidermis occurs and epithelial cells proliferate and migrate to the wound providing protection for new tissue.
3. Maturation – 20 days to 24 months. Collagen is remodelled and realigned. Type III collagen is replaced by type I. Scar tissue is flattened. Cells that are no longer needed are removed.
What does it feel like?
You may feel some pressure though you won’t feel much pain due to the topical anaesthetic that is applied prior to your procedure. Pin point bleeding is to be expected with treatments however skin will not continue to bleed following the treatment. You need to arrive 30mins before your appointment time for application of topical.
How many treatments are recommended for rejuvenation, acne scarring and stretch marks?
Rejuvenation: 4-6 treatments 4 weeks apart
Acne Scarring: 6 treatments 6 weeks apart
Stretch marks: 4-8 treatments 4-6 weeks apart
Healthy skin will respond far better to treatment than a weak skin therefore skin preparation is recommended.
Is there any downtime after treatments?
You may experience facial redness and sensitivity for 12-48 hours after the treatment. The skin can become tight and slightly uncomfortable. Bruising, crusting and light flaking may occur on the days following the procedure. Grazing and pustules may also occur but are not common. Application of a breathable camouflage will seal the skin and cover any redness for an immediate return to work.
How long should it take before I see results?
Typically, you will see results after the first treatment. Lasting and more significant results will occur after 4 to 6 treatments (spaced 4 to 6 weeks apart. Your skin will continue to improve over the next 6-12 months after a course of treatments and when combined with the recommended post treatment care.
Smoking reduces the capacity for skin to make collagen, as it is harder to stimulate growth factors. Therefore it also reduces the skins natural ability to heal. More bruising may occur following the needling process and therefore result may be limited
· Cardiac conditions
· Anaesthetic allergies
· Auto-immune disorders
· Certain medications
· Medical aesthetic treatments
· Clinical aesthetic treatments
· Topical skin care regime
Skin needling is recommended to treat:
· Aged sagging skin
· Fine lines and wrinkles
· Smokers lines around the lips
· Skin tightening and rejuvenation
· Large pores
· Stretch marks
· Acne scars, surgical scars and wound healing
Full Face $330